Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Bathtime take two!

Lately, feeding Ada hasn't gone as smoothly as I'd like it to. Rick's the real pro as he has been able to pin her little arms down under the highchair tray without her really noticing at all. I was able to do that for a little while but now she's on to our tricks and isn't having any of it. Her hands have been set free and boy does she ever know how to make a mess!

Last night as I was feeding her an array of pureed fruits and vegetables, she decided she wanted to eat them and wear them and heck, I should wear them too. After a short battle to get most of the food into her mouth, I finally was forced to give up and grab her wash cloth. After three trips to the sink to rinse and re-wipe her, she was still filthy. Desperate times call for desperate measures and I was desperate. She had rice cereal in her hair, ears, up her nose, on her thighs, on my forearms, and covering both her tiny hands. A complete mess. So I held her at arms length while rushing her to the tub in hopes that I too wouldn't need to shower before bed. She got a nice little bath. Nothing special. Then I toweled her off, covered her with lotion and was retrieving her new diaper when she decided to roll over on her mat and play a bit. By the time I had the diaper ready, she had peed all over herself, the mat, and then decided to squirm in her new found puddle. And such is the reason for bath number two. Again, at arms length I rushed her into the tub. Did a quick rinse. Toweled dry. Diaper first this time, then lotion. Then dragged all of the pee soaked tiles from her playmat to the tub for a quick rinse and finally got her to bed. By now, she's overtired and has to scream her little head off for a few minutes to get into the sleep mood and somehow it becomes my fault that she needed not one, but two baths and that she rolled in her pee and threw food all over herself. Go figure.

Moral of the story: No matter what you do or how hard you try, the baby will win the majority of the time. Do your best to roll with it and laugh along the way.

No comments: