Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Nanny day two

Yesterday went super duper well for the new nanny Ashley and she had an easy day with Ada -- minus the cloth diapers and the fact that Ada pooped 3 times in the morning to the point where Ashley gave up and decided to try the cloth diapers again another day. She did however note that Ada was the "happiest baby I've ever seen" when she first got here in the morning as Ada was playing and smiling and being silly, as per usual. Ashley even got her to take 2 one-hour naps and managed to get the stroller in and out of the inner and outer vestibule doors, without locking herself out. Something I consider to be a miracle.

I was both comforted and a bit peeved when I went to hug Ada good by in the morning and she quickly turned back to Ashley and reached out for the pass off. She's been doing this a lot lately. She must be secure in our relationship or bored with me (more likely) since she tends to reach out to go to other people when I'm holding her. I'm proud of that fact since most babies nuzzle in to mom's shoulder and act shy. Not my Ada. You want her, you got her. Here she comes! She even plays the same game between Rick and I and we play pass the baby, back and forth, back and forth.

Today however wasn't so easy. Ada has been and continues to teethe. I warned Ashley before I left and listed off the twelve steps we take to make her happier when her teeth hurt. "When all else fails, go outside and she'll quiet down."were my parting words of wisdom. I was shocked to hear upon my return, at 5 pm not 6, that Ada was a fussy little mess all day. Ashley had to resort to drugs twice and got the pleasure of listening to my little fuss pot all day go on and on about her teeth. Ada even whined while outside in her stroller on a walk -- very rare for this kid. Talk about making your mom into a liar on day two. And the result--still no teeth. Someday, sometime, hopefully in the immediate near future, I'll be able to post a photo of this damn elusive tooth and my very own shit grin as it will be one of the most glorious days of my life, and Rick's and Ada's too I'm sure.

Moral of the story: Don't make promises when it comes to the behavior of a nine month old. She'll sell you out and prove you wrong every time.

No comments: