Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Secret Lily Pond

One of the best kept secrets in the entire city of Chicago (in my opinion) is the Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool (I call it a pond) on the north edge of Lincoln Park Zoo. (Another is the burgers from Billy Goat Tavern on lower Michigan Avenue under the Tribune building. Yum!) Here it is...
For those of you who think the city is all hustle and bustle, this my dear friends will prove you wrong. It is, by far, the most quiet, calm and relaxing place I have found in the city --unless you count the beach at 5 am and I for one, don't like to get up that early on my own.
On a recent visit to the Lily Pond, we spotted a few turtles and were able to take a few minutes to reflect on life. Then our stomachs started growling and it was time to hike home for dinner.

If you haven't been, be sure to stop in for a few minutes of Zen. It's kind of hidden near the entrance to the Zoo parking lot off Fullerton...but it is so worth searching for.

Moral of the story: We all need a little bit of calm in our lives. Find a place where you can stock up.

No comments: