Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Crusty Popeye

Ada was a Popeye baby. She tended to have one eye open and one eye closed as she watched what was going on around her.

I'm happy to report that Iain is the same way, but his Popeye look is due to a clogged tear duct, which I frequently call a clogged milk duct which is a much more painful condition and clearly not associated with one's eye. I must have nursing on the brain. His clogged tear duct goo tends to seal his eye shut. I've been trying to cure it with a warm washcloth and by massaging the inner and outer corners of his eye. My lactation consultant suggested putting breastmilk in his eye since it has antibiotic healing properties so I've tried that as well. Some days it is better, some days it's worse. It has since migrated to his other eye now so he alternates Popeye faces. Either way, he has a drippy, yellow goo on his face, but he's still really cute so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hoping that the ducts will unclog themselves in time.

Moral of the story: Babies get goo, bumps, marks, spots and the like. Most will pass on their own given time so do just that... give them time and don't mess with them.

No comments: